Disclosure: The Lapdogs are Chewy Influencers and received a Wisdom Panel 3.0 kit, free of charge, in exchange for spreading the word about the product and Chewy. We only share information that we feel is relevant to our readers. All opinions expressed are our own.
A few weeks ago our friends at Chewy gave us the opportunity to ask the experts at Wisdom Panel - Who's Her Daddy?
While I'd love to test all of our dogs, I knew Penny would be the perfect candidate for review of the Wisdom Panel 3.0 DNA Test Kit for Dogs.
While there are some skeptics out there when it comes to DNA testing, I was really excited. Besides, I had an ace up my sleeve with Penny. We knew that her Mom is a purebred Doberman (red, to be exact), so if the test showed something different, we would know something was amiss.
The results are in and while we'll never know the "who," we now know what Penny's father was - as well as her grandparents and great-grandparents, which I think is pretty cool.
When Wisdom Panel extracts the DNA from your dog's cheek swabs, it is examined for 1,800 markers. The results are then evaluated using an algorithm which has been designed to consider all of the pedigree trees that are possible in the last three generations of your dog.
How awesome is that? This results in getting a very informative family tree, as we did for Penny.
:::insert drumroll here:::
My girl is 50% Doberman, 12.5% Dalmatian, 12.5% Beagle, 12.5% Chow Chow, and 12.5% Mixed-Breed Groups* (Herding, Guard, Hound).
*A portion of Penny's ancestry was predicted to be mixed beyond the three generations which Wisdom Panel tests for. The breed groups with the strongest statistical likelihood were listed (Herding, Guard, Hound).
Her ancestry tree shows one parent is purebred Doberman all the way back to her great-grandparents. Wisdom Panel cannot pinpoint which parent was which, however we know that is Penny's maternal ancestry.
As for her paternal ancestry, Penny's great-grandparents were a Beagle and a Dalmatian, and a Chow Chow and a Mixed Breed dog.
But that's not all that Wisdom Panel told us! Once your results are ready, they send an email with a link to your dog's full ancestry report, which is really quite extensive. I was quite impressed with how much information we received, including:
- Penny's unique genetic signature
- Breed Percentages
- Information on each of the breeds identified; including traits, behaviors, etc.
- Penny's official certificate (they allow you to upload a photo and print it out, as we did)
- Health report - they test for Multidrug Sensitivity, plus give a predicted adult weight
I really enjoyed reading the breed information, as each included four typical behaviors and asked if we recognized them in Penny. I found myself repeatedly saying "yes" as I read through many of them, and was pleasantly surprised to see some of her bigger traits mentioned again and again...
- intelligent, obedient, energetic (Doberman, Dalmatian)
- eager to learn and responds well to reward-based training using treats or favorite toys (Doberman, Dalmatian)
- enjoys dog sports such as agility, tracking, and obedience (Doberman, Beagle, Dalmatian)
- Detects over 250 breeds, types and varieties including 99% of AKC-recognized breeds
- Traces 3 generations to reveal your dog's genetic background
- Includes MDR1 genetic mutation test to check for multi-drug resistance
- Provides adult weight prediction
- DNA cheek swabs are easy to use at home - no need for blood testing at the vet
- You will receive your customized report with a family tree going back to the great-grandparents in just 2-3 weeks
I am so glad we had the opportunity to have Penny's DNA tested and would highly recommend Wisdom Panel to anyone who's curious about their dog's ancestry.
The process couldn't have been any easier, and now we can give a confident answer anytime we're stopped and asked, "What type of dog is that?"
You can order the Wisdom Panel kit at Chewy and start tracking your own dog's ancestry today! They kit would also make a great gift for any mixed breed dog parent on your holiday list this year (hint, hint - in case my own secret Santa is reading).