With mixed breed rescue dogs, it's usually a best guess scenario depending on what they looks like. Pull up Petfinder and you'll be overwhelmed with "lab mixes," yet half of those dogs probably have zero Labrador in them.
Fortunately, for those of us who are curious, DNA testing has come a long way. Thanks to Wisdom Panel, it's now fairly easy and inexpensive to get an answer instead of that best guess.
Disclosure: The Lapdogs are Chewy Influencers and received a Wisdom Panel 3.0 kit, free of charge, in exchange for spreading the word about the product and Chewy. We only share information that we feel is relevant to our readers. All opinions expressed are our own.
Our friends over at Chewy recently asked if we'd like to review the Wisdom Panel 3.0 DNA Test Kit for Dogs, and well... we jumped at the chance!
I've always been curious to know just what my lovable mutts' genetic backgrounds really are. I change my best guess on Sophie monthly, and the verdict is still out on Teutul, but we'll soon find out a little more about Miss Penny.
With so much skepticism going on over the years, I knew Penny would be the perfect candidate for our first Wisdom Panel experience. After all, we know what breed her Mom is - it's her Daddy that is in question.
We found the kit incredibly easy to use. In fact, there are just a few easy steps for owners to perform...
- Open up the box and remove the two swabs
- Peel back the swab sleeve a couple of inches
- Obtain cheek cells by firmly rolling the bristles between your dog's cheek and gums
- Insert the handle of the swab into one of the convenient holes in the box to air dry
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 with the second swab
- While the swabs are drying, log onto Wisdom Panel's website to activate your kit
- Write your activation code on the swab sleeve label
- Place the dry swabs back into their sleeve
- Place the sleeve back into the main box
- Seal the carton and drop it in the mail
"At Mars Veterinary, we pride ourselves on offering the most reliable and accurate genetic tests on the market. Wisdom Panel tests provide the highest level of accuracy possible for a cheek swab DNA test, but that accuracy can vary depending on the quality of DNA collected from the dog." - Wisdom Panel website
How does it work?
Wisdom Panel uses a proprietary computer algorithm and breed database to analyze your dog’s DNA and identify the breed(s) present in their recent ancestry.
Key Benefits of Wisdom Panel
- Detects over 250 breeds, types and varieties including 99% of AKC-recognized breeds
- Traces 3 generations to reveal your dog's genetic background
- Includes MDR1 genetic mutation test to check for multi-drug resistance
- Provides adult weight prediction
- DNA cheek swabs are easy to use at home - no need for blood testing at the vet
- You will receive your customized report with a family tree going back to the great-grandparents in just 2-3 weeks
The entire process was incredibly easy. The only thing you need to remember is to wait at least two hours after giving your dog a meal or treat to do your swabs.
I got an email notification from Wisdom Panel when they received our test kit, and I am able to track the progress of Penny's swabs online. They are currently in stage 2, "sample being processed" (this is the stage which requires the majority of the 2-3 weeks). Once processing is complete, they move to stage 3, "data being analyzed." At stage 4, "results are ready," I will be able to download our results.