Lace One-Skein Wonders
101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
by Judith DurantPaperback: 304 Pages
Publisher: Storey Publishing, LLC (September 10, 2013)
Judith Durant has done it yet again... Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace is the latest in her truly amazing One-Skein Wonders series. It is, perhaps, one of the most anticipated.
Lace patterns have taken the knitting world by storm in recent years. In fact, there are now over 425 lace groups on Ravelry. One group for beginners has over 9,500 members, truly showing just how popular this technique is. Knitters sure do love their lace, which is often made by pairing combinations of special decreases and increases in a pattern. The technique is used to make both clothing and accessories... everything from heirloom quality shawls to children's dresses to airy curtains to intricate tablecloths.
With the holidays coming, and all of the "on summer vacation" knitters re-discovering their needles now that the cooler temps are here, the timing of Lace One-Skein Wonders couldn't be more perfect. As with previous installments in the One-Skein Wonders series, the patterns have been contributed by knitters, designers and shop owners from all over the world. Each project uses just one skein of yarn - making them perfect for all of those luxurious yarns you've been coveting or the lonely leftover skeins in your basket.
Lace One-Skein Wonders is organized into five major chapters, many of which are broken down info more specific categories:
- From Head to Toe
- Hats & Caps
- Mitts, Gloves & Cuffs
- Knits for Kids
- Baby & Toddler Wear
- To Have and To Hold
- It's a Wrap
- Shawls & Stoles
- Lacy Accessories
- For the Home
Some of the patterns that have caught my eye include:
- Tredegar Hat - this beret-style hat can be knit as is, or turned into a more slouchy style by adding an extra lace chart repeat
- Travel-Worthy Mitts - if you know me, you know I love my fingerless mitts. Luxury meets function with these cashmere hand warmers... and bonus, one skein of Jade Sapphire Mongolian Cashmere 2-ply nets two pair of mitts... make one for yourself, and give a matching pair to a friend. win-win
- Baby Twist Pullover - this sweet cable and lace patterned top would look chic on any little girl
- Mezzaluna Scarf - knit end to end, then turned 90 degrees to add a border, this crescent shaped scarf is as versatile as it is gorgeous... wear it around your neck or draped over your shoulders
- Firefly Table Mat - this pretty little round mat instantly dresses up any side table
If you're already hooked on lace, or interested in learning more about the technique, Lace One-Skein Wonders is a must for your knitting bookshelf! Grab a second copy to gift this holiday season and you'll put a smile on another knitter's face as well.
But wait.... thanks to the great folks over at Storey Publishing, I get to give away a copy of Lace One-Skein Wonders to one lucky reader! Use the Rafflecopter below to enter to win!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclaimer: Storey Publishing, LLC sent a complimentary copy of Lace One-Skein Wonders to Lapdog Creations for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review. All opinions expressed in the review are my own.