Great Little Gifts to Knit
30 Quick and Colorful Patterns
by Jean MossPaperback: 144 Pages
Publisher: Taunton Press (September 3, 2013)
The only thing knitters love more than creating things may be sharing those creations with the ones we love. But, let's face it, we are busy. Despite all good intentions, more often than not, projects just don't get finished in time for birthdays and holidays. Enter Great Little Gifts to Knit: 30 Quick and Colorful Projects.
As a knitter, I know I am always looking for new and exciting quick knit patterns. Great Little Gifts to Knit features 30 fresh patterns that incorporate traditional knitting techniques from all over the world. From Fair Isle and Aran to Japanese shadow knitting, there's something that will appeal to everyone.
Great Little Gifts to Knit is divided into 4 chapters: Baby, Hers, His, and Home. The instructions throughout the book are well written and easy to follow. Charts and graphs are clear and easy to read, and the photographs will have you wanting to make one of everything!
Some of the stand-outs for me are:
- Cuddle Cocoon - the perfect gift to welcome home a new baby, there are 2 versions based on the knitter's experience level
- Baby Love Blanket - at first it appears to be a simple stripped blanket, until you see the hidden hearts from shadow knitting
- Jive Leg Warmers - knit with a bulky yarn, these cabled leg warmers are the perfect gift for all the girls in your life, from your 'lil sis to your bff
- Deco Backpack - "color work without complication" is how the author describes this one... worked in slip stitch, using just one color at a time, there's no carrying the yarn behind your work and the results are stunning
- Hendrix Guitar Strap - while I still don't think my guy will ever use a knit strap, I love the look
- Galway Beanie - this Aran weight cabled hat is simple and functional, exactly what a guy wants when it comes to handknits
- Wensleydale Tea Cozy - a great pattern to practice your tuck skills (your what, you ask? click here)
- McDougal Dog Jacket - for obvious reasons, but also because this Intarsia knit is quite eye catching
About the Author: Jean Moss is a designer, writer, teacher, gardener, blogger, musician, and maker. She has designed for Rowan Yarns and many international fashion houses including Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Laura Ashley, and Benetton. Jean is the author of numerous books, the most recent being Sweet Shawlettes. She lives in York, England and hosts knitters’ tours in the UK and throughout Europe.
Disclaimer: Taunton Press sent a complimentary copy of Great Little Gifts to Knit to Lapdog Creations for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review. All opinions expressed in the review are my own.