I had planned to do a doggy yum-yum review today to correspond with Tasty Tuesday... that is, until I saw the topic for today's Ten on Tuesday: 10 Reasons Why You Knit. Of course I had to bite on this one (doggy's stay tuned... the Lapdogs will be sharing at least one yummy review this week).
1. I enjoy it. Why else would one do something over and over again, with occasional swearing and throwing of needles involved?
2. Hand-knits make amazing gifts. Although I don't knit for just anyone... over the years, I've learned my time is best spent on those who truly appreciate handmade. Recipients get bonus points when they actually ask for something hand-knit.
3. I love hand-knits (or handmade anything, for that matter). Of course, this means I'm sometimes guilty of knitting too much for me and not enough for others. Does that make me selfish?
4. Knitting keeps my hands and mind busy. Complicated stitch patterns challenge the brain, and busy hands stay out of the candy dish.
5. I always have something to do while passing the time. Long car rides, lunch breaks, on airplanes, at the race track, pretty much waiting anywhere.... and in July, I'm sure I'll be caught stitching on a cruise ship in Alaska!
6. The knitting community is a wonderful one. I've met so many great friends, both near and far, through knitting. Whether I met you at a knit night, yarn show, class, Ravelry or through the blog world, our love of the craft is what brought us together.
7. There's always something new. Sure, everything comes down to knits and purls, but there are endless combinations through millions of patterns out there. While I tend to return to some favorite basic patterns over and over again, I know I can always find something new to challenge me.
8. If I didn't knit, it would be really hard to explain my over abundant yarn stash.
9. Knitting is stress relief. No, I'm not talking about the hard-as-heck-to-keep-your-place lace chart projects, but the repetitiveness of endless stockinette hats or sock ribbing sure does calm the soul.
10. So I don't kill people. This one is a favorite quote of mine and kind of goes along with #9 above. I proudly wear the quote on a favorite t-shirt.